Commissioner Mereda Davis Johnson’s Board of Commissioner Comments – 10.13.2020
Thank You, Mr. Presiding Officer, and Good morning again everyone.
- I would like to begin my comments this morning by offering my sincerest condolences to the family of the late Rev. Dr. Barbara Lewis King. Rev King was a great trailblazer and a great leader. The founder minister of Hillside International Truth Center in and has fought for equality for all. She will truly be missed.
- Yesterday, it was good to be with the Democratic Party of Georgia to welcome Dr. Jill Biden to DeKalb County for a get out the vote rally. We were also joined by my husband, Congressman Hank Johnson, Stacey Abrams, State Senator Nikema Williams and so many other leaders. My colleagues, Commissioners Rader and Gannon were also in attendance.
- It was great to join so many of my colleagues and members of the community for “Flip the Senate” event hosted by Commissioner Lorraine Cochran – Johnson. I was also glad to be apart of the host team as we distributed Ossoff , Warnock, and Biden/Harris signs.
- Just a week prior to that, Hank hosted his sign giveaway where Candidates Jon Ossoff and Rev. Raphel Warnock were in attendance. We are encouraging everyone to exercise your right to vote in this and all elections.
- I would also like to remind everyone that early voting has already began in Georgia. If you need information about the early voting, you can visit dekalbvotes.com . You can also find the locations of each of the drop boxes where you can drop off your absentee ballot as well.
I am encouraging everyone to get out and cast your ballot early, but if you don’t get it done early, you can do so on Election Day.
- Yesterday, I was pleased to learn that NACA (Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America) has partnered with my church, House of Hope Atlanta to provide over 100 vans to provide rides to the polls for citizens in DeKalb County and throughout Metro Atlanta area. If anyone is in need of a ride, please call 1-888-495-6222 or visit www.naca.com
- Don’t Forget, It’s Not Too Late. Visit 2020census.gov to make sure that you and your loved ones are counted in the 2020 Census which determines many of the needed resources that we receive in our County. The deadline to fill out your Census has been extended to October 31st. Make sure you and your family are counted.
- If anyone is in need of food, my church, The House of Hope Atlanta will be giving away food every Thursday in the month of October from 12:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. at the church which is located at 4650 Flat Shoals Parkway, Decatur, Georgia 30034. For more information, you may visit houseofhopeatl.org .
- I want to continue to encourage everyone to wear their mask when going out. We have seen an increase of COVID – 19 cases and we want to do all we can to slow the spread.
- Finally, my heart and my spirit were energized yesterday to see so many people voting on the first day of early voting. The Secretary of State’s office reported that over 126,000 Georgian’s voted on the first day of early voting in the State. Let’s continue to move this forward until we change the narrative in the Country.
- I invite you to follow me on social media:
- Facebook – Mereda Davis Johnson
- Twitter – @MeredaDJohnson
- Instagram – @MeredaDJohnson
- For more information on any of the announcements, District 5 upcoming events, please feel free to visit my website at commissionermeredajohnson.com or you may call my office at 404-371-2159. And as always, don’t hesitate to contact my office with any of your questions, concerns, Or suggestions. Thank you for allowing me to serve as your District 5 Commissioner.